Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: New Mass Mailer Virus

From: "Thor" <thor () hammerofgod com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 15:34:36 -0700

This one's not being caught by AV (trend, anyway) -- The zip file appears to
have a randomized integer appended to the name.  I've seen both price2.zip
and price_8.zip  Looks like Price.htm checks browser settings and does a
document.write to install under IE with
CLSID:018B7EC3-EECA-11d3-8E71-0000E82C6C0D- if netscape and  launches and
installs trigger.UpdateEnabled then it uses the trigger.startsoftwareupdate
method.

However, I show that as adware/spyware, not a Bagle variant... BargainBuddy,
specifically.  However, it does have probably a 100 web sites hard-coded
into the exe that try to pull up www.domain.com/2.jpg.  It is always 2.jpg
looks like, but I was not able to get to that file on any of the referenced
sites- got 404's on all but one, where I got  " The image
"http://www.dynex.ru/2.jpg"; cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
"

Just cursory observations...