Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: NDRs from spamming

From: "Tenorio, Leandro" <ltenorio () intelaction com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 19:59:46 -0300

        A month ago I receive those messages too. I apply the same rule,
forward those netaddr and (211.170.0.0 / 219.0.0.0 / 61.30.0.0) to null
on the internet router, anyone can block those addrs on any firewall
too, and delete the NDRs from the SMTP queue.
        The fact is, anyone can send a lot of mails to a server, lets
say yahoo.com.tw, and write as reply addr an e-mail address on your
domain, because most of the servers or fw does not make reverse domain
check, yahoo in this case will send you a lot of NDRs, even if you make
reverse domain check,those messages are real NDRs from a real smtp
server.
        About the complains, I doit every time I found an attack, this
is somehow a simple but efective attack, could take u a lot of time to
seach, block and remediate the entire system, sometimes it works,
sometimes not.

I hope this helps,.