Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Need help to find web server attacks signature

From: "Mike Brownbill" <mike.brownbill () dsl pipex com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 20:49:54 +0100

I can't name the scanner itself but it's looking like a simple brute-force
against a list of forum scripts (most likely vulnerable) which the attacker
has. A probable explanation for the request of the images is to enumerate
whether or not the forum which uses said images is present on the server.
It's a very cack-handed attack - a more intelligent/experienced attacker
would have used google to check for the forum/(whatever system, looks like a
forum with age.pl/header.php, etc)'s existence on the server rather than
doing it in this manner. The fact that further down the page you see an
attempt to tunnel the /etc/passwd file from an IIS server(?!?!?) points to a
script kiddy. If I was you I'd check that the relevant scripts that got a
200 are up to date with the latest vendor patches - if you are very
concerned then do a whois on the attacking ip and contact their ISP. As I
have said in a very round and about manner, it's a rather awfully attempted
attack and doesn't point to the webserver being targetted personally (again,
probably just a script kiddy scanning about - an attacked with intent of
taking that specific site would have a better knowledge of the site and it's
scripts.
Anywho, hope that helps,

Mike Brownbill