Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: BIND 9.2.1 crashes

From: Keith Bergen <keith () keithbergen com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 11:27:38 -0400

Benjamin,

My paranoia always assumes a buffer overflow and comprimise.
BIND 9.2.1 appears to be vulnerable to a buffer overflow. I
would recommend updating it. Typically the attackers will
exploit the overflow, and then install their rootkits. Then
they will disable the DNS so that you have to reboot the
machine, thus permanently installing their root kits.

Check out this page:
http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/bind-security.html

Next, download the Root Kit Checker and compile and run it:
http://www.chkrootkit.org/

Hope this helps,
Keith.