Security Incidents mailing list archives

strange DNS behavior over the last 2 days

From: "steve baker" <stephenbbaker () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 13:06:31 -0500

For some odd reason, periodically our clients will visit a site, only to have a blank page appear as if the site loaded.

Nslookup resolves the correct IP address, but ping returns 64.251.66.2 for every address that has this problem. There are NO hosts files on these machines and regardless of which DNS server we point them to, the same problem occurs.

The problem occurs intermittently as well, which makes it even harder to pin down. Some sites previously affected will be accessible and new sites not affected suddenly have the same problem - but they eventually clear up in just about 10 minutes.

Very strange. Has anyone heard or seen this before on a network running windows nt 4 DNS server with nt/2000 clients?

Powerful Anti-Spam Management and More...
SurfControl E-mail Filter puts the brakes on spam,
viruses and malicious code. Safeguard your business
critical communications. Download a free 30-day trial:
http://www.surfcontrol.com/go/zsfihl1