Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Spammers?

From: jlewis () lewis org
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 10:53:21 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Christopher Wagner wrote:

Good day all..

I'm encountering some rather annoying problems with my mail server.

It appears as though someone is trying rather desperately to relay through
my mail server, and using multiple boxes from all over the place to do it.
They are all directed at pacbell.net and they're all from the commonly faked
mail from:'s (ie: hotmail, mindspring, earthlink)

Logs:

Feb 25 07:12:02 goober postfix/smtpd[31398]: reject: RCPT from
unknown[62.117.66.182]: 554 <idapaul () pacbell net>: Recipient address
rejected: Relay access denied; from=<t1p2dj10x () earthlink net>
to=<idapaul () pacbell net>
--
Feb 25 07:10:37 goober postfix/smtpd[31398]: reject: RCPT from
kamosbs.kamocci.or.jp[157.120.128.130]: 554 <gortons () pacbell net>: Recipient

These first two are open proxies.  It seems a little odd that someone
would abuse an open proxy and then look for open relays through it rather
than do direct-to-MX spam from it.  I wonder if that's intentional,
accidental, or just a coincidence that they're open proxies.

http://njabl.org/cgi-bin/lookup.cgi?query=157.120.128.130
http://njabl.org/cgi-bin/lookup.cgi?query=62.117.66.182

It can't hurt to look up the NIC contacts for them and send a complaint.

 Jon Lewis *jlewis () lewis org*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |

<Pre>Lose another weekend managing your IDS?
Take back your personal time.
15-day free trial of StillSecure Border Guard.</Pre>
<A href="http://www.securityfocus.com/stillsecure";> http://www.securityfocus.com/stillsecure </A>