Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: email address probes

From: Andy Bastien <lists+incidents () yuggoth net>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 17:16:53 +0000

We have reason to believe that on Thu Feb 06 Ned Fleming wrote:

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 20:54:19 +0000, Andy Bastien
<lists+incidents () yuggoth net> wrote:

[snip]

I'd like to be able to stop these attempts, but I can't think of a way
to do it.  All of the attempts are coming from valid servers from some
domains that we can't block.  They do all have null reverse-paths
(MAIL FROM:<>), but I don't think that we can reject on this criteria

Maybe you're being joe-jobbed. To wit: A spammer is using your domain
name as the "From: xyz () yogguth net" or "Reply-To:" address on the spam
he's spewing.

      http://www.spamfaq.net/terminology.shtml#joe_job

You get the gold star; this is exactly what is happening.  As a test,
I set up an account to catch all mail to nonexistent addresses.  I
found that most of them are NDRs.

I don't want to keep this setup for any extended period, because I
believe people should get NDRs back if they send mail to the wrong
address.  I want to avoid the kind of situation where Alice sends Bob
an email but spells Bob's name wrong, doesn't get back an NDR, and
thinks that Bob is ignoring her when he doesn't reply.  This could be
especially problematic with Valentine's Day approaching <g>.

It also doesn't seem fair to me to set up a tarpit, because this would
cause the NDRs to queue up on AOL's and MSN's servers, and it's not
their fault that all of these emails that they're trying to send have
invalid addresses.

I guess I'll just have to grin and bear it for now.  I appreciate all
of the responses that I've gotten; I've certainly learned a few new
terms out of this whole affair.