Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: udp and dst port 1026

From: Bill McCarty <bmccarty () pt-net net>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 16:07:35 -0800

Hi all,

Using a sacrificial PC, I surfed over to the web site mentioned in Cedric's packet dump, www.popadstop.com. The web page uses Javascript to obfuscate its contents, but invites users to download and install a free tool that allegedly blocks pop-up spam <g>. I suspect that the user who downloads the tool thereby obtains a Trojan that causes their system to begin sending such invitations to others. I spent a few minutes trying to unobfuscate the web page, but didn't yet entirely succeed in doing so.

So far, my sacrificial PC has not begun emitting probes. But, it's behind a NATing firewall. So, it may not be in communication with the mother ship, if indeed one exists.

Cheers,

Bill McCarty