Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Fw: services.exe file

From: Fred Bradford <avpower () earthlink net>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 13:18:06 -0800

I have used a derivative of the old MS-DOS X-Tree for
windows called:  ZTreeWin

It's available at: http://www.ztree.com/

It lets you "see" every file on your computer
and lets you manipulate them easily. Yes, you can
change one file's or all the files' attributes!

It's for people who hate the mouse and like keyboard
control, but it's easy to learn.

Unless a file is "in use," you can do anything
you want to it, unlike the higher level Windows
"I know what you want, and won't let you do certain
things" attitude.

-Fred Bradford (Los Angeles)

dano wrote:

Here's a link to the zipped copy of the services.exe file that I found on my
system for anyone that would like to check it out:

http://www.thejamzone.com/services/services.zip

Within in XP, I can NOT uncheck the hidden attribute that is set although I can unhide in DOS. After unhiding it, I
ran f-prot and it did say that it was a "security risk" or backdoor program. It came to my attention after running a
netstat and constantly seeing connections being made to the two outside hosts. I then installed a personal firewall
and found out exactly what application was doing it (should have done this a long time ago).

This email was cleaned by emailStripper, available for
free from http://www.papercut.biz/emailStripper.htm

Dan