Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Strange services.exe file

From: <jdavison3 () cox net>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 8:49:33 -0500

SERVICES.EXE is installed on the system by Microsoft.  It is a process which functions as the service control manager.
It also runs a variety of Windows NT user mode functions as threads including server, browsing, event log, and RPC
services.  The process has had numerous security flaws and has been used by a bunch of worms and trojans.  I would
start by examining the event logs and looking at the two IP addresses to see if anything unusual is occuring.  If the
computer did not have the latest Microsoft patches then the system is very vulnerable to script attacks using
services.exe.  Hope this helps.

JD