Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Anyone seen tgcmd.exe before?

From: David Moisan <dmoisan () davidmoisan org>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 12:51:04 -0500

Did you check support.com's website?

That yields up:
http://knowledgecenter.supportsoft.com/sdccommon/asp/defcontent_view.asp

quoting part:

Title: What is SupportSoft (Support.com) doing on my computer?
Answer:

Your Internet Service Provider or the personal computer manufacturer from which you purchased your computer licensed our software, may have modified it in some cases based on their service requirements, and installed the software on your machine so they can better help you -- should you have a problem with your Internet connection or your system, respectively.

What does SupportSoft (Support.com) software do?

Our software, sometimes identified on your computer as tgcmd.exe, or tgfix.exe, mostly does two things: 1.) It periodically looks for updates and fixes from your support provider (Again, this is usually either your Internet Service Provider or your personal computer manufacturer.) to make sure you don't encounter problems, and 2.) it gives you a direct line into their support organization when you do have troubles or questions and require assisted service.

David Moisan, N1KGH   ARES/SKYWARN             dmoisan () davidmoisan org
Invisible Disability:  http://www.davidmoisan.org/invisible_disability.html
ATS-909 FAQ:  http://www.davidmoisan.org/radio/sangean/ats909faq.html