Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: AIM-based worm?

From: Midkaemia <midkaemia () midkaemia fsnet co uk>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 23:06:32 +0100

On Friday 27 Sep 2002 9:48 pm, Troy Ablan wrote:
-- BEGIN SOURCE --

http-equiv="refresh" content="1;
url=psecure20x-cgi-install.version6.01.bin.hx.com"></head><body><h1>Bro
wser Plugin Required:</h1><br>You may need to restart your browser for
changes to take affect.<br>Security Certificate by <a
href="http://www.verisign.com";>Verisign</a> 2002.<br>MD5:
9DD756AC-80E057FC-E00703A2-F801F2E3<br><br>Click <a
href="psecure20x-cgi-install.version6.01.bin.hx.com">HERE</a> and
choose "Run" to install.</body></html>

-- END SOURCE --

I don't think so.  I think it's just the text of the HTML page saying
that -- part of the social engineering in play to get the user to execute
the worm.

-Troy

Ditto, that's what I thought as well.

Basically the hacker is trying to fool the end user into thinking the page
they have been asked to view (by whatever means) requires a plugin to run.
The user thinks that by accepting to install the "plugin" they are being
given a valid plugin signed by verisign. It isn't, and they shouldn't run it.
But hey, people will. I suspect the "plugin" modifies the home page of the
browser, or installs some other activeX control to make this thing work,
hence the restart your browser bit.

If I had a spare winxx box I would be tempted to have a look at this thing to
provide more info, unfortunately I'm mid rebuild of my entire systems so I
can't atm :(

It's a quite simple play on basic human ignorance, and nothing more.

Mike
--
 "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the
   surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge,