Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Forensics CD (was: Re: Strange Folder

From: Neil Dickey <neil () geol niu edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 16:00:24 -0500 (CDT)

Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>  wrote in response to me:

Thanks!  I think I picked up the idea from someone on this list, as a
matter of fact.  I wish I could remember who.

Carv perhaps??

He teaches forensics and other post-mortem courses, and features such
a disk that I seem to recall him mentioneing here.

No, I don't think so.  It wasn't a specific reference.  Someone just
mentioned CDs and utilities, and the light went on.  I obviously don't
claim to have originated the idea.

Aside from that, it is a fairly obvious idea

Nonetheless, judging from the private e-mail I got there were quite a
few who appreciated hearing about it.  Not all of us have sprung full-
blown from the brow of Zeus.  ;-)

-- if you have to run
code in a compromised environment (not necessarily a good idea to do
extensively if you are doing forensics work) then obviously you must
not trust anything already on the machine.

Yup.  I learned that back when everyone was worried about what viruses
did to boot sectors.  "Boot from a write-protected floppy" was the
mantra then.  That's what clicked when I thought about a CD.

(Of course, at some level
the tools on the CD are "trusting" the various APIs, etc to be
returning true results and as anyone who has failed to adequately
handle a box with a rootkit installed will tell you, that is not a
clever idea...).

As I suggested in an earlier post, many -- if not most -- of us on the
list do forensics on occasion and somewhat rarely.  A CD put together
ahead of time is at least a place to start, if the boss even lets you
go that far.

Ultimately, of course, most of us will have to clean and re-install
anyway.  It's not very satisfying, but it's reality.

Best regards,

Neil Dickey, Ph.D.
Research Associate/Sysop
Geology Department