Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Interesting new DDoS method?

From: zeno <bugtraq () cgisecurity net>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 15:37:51 -0400 (EDT)

The idea of webserver/web app holes for use with launching ddos isn't a new idea.
Some people have even written cgi programs which are soly made for flooding for later
use. I do think this will become a very popular method of launching ddos attacks on the
otherhand.

- zeno () cgisecurity com

Exerpt from webserver logs:

/scripts/..%255c..%255cwinnt/system32/cmd.exe?/c+ping%20-n%20666%20-l%2065500%20-w%200%2065.168.118.157 200
Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+5.5;+Windows+NT+5.0)

We had several of these appear in the logs.  Decyphering the command that was attempted, it looks like: ping -n 666
-l 65000 -w 0

It looks like someone's attempting to take advantage of code red / nimda infected (or vulnerable) servers to use as a
Distributed DoS.  Quite clever.  All one would have to do is sit and accumulate a list of machines that have
attempted to probe you for CR/CRv2/Nimda etc...

Scripting an attack like this would be quite simple.  However, the machines that were probed here, were not infected
or vulnerable.

Keith T. Morgan - CISSP, CCSE/CCSA, MCP
Terradon Communications Group
Office: 304.755.1324 x142