Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE:

From: Hugo van der Kooij <hvdkooij () vanderkooij org>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 23:20:08 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Hay,Daniel wrote:

We are in the same boat, We have udp/tcp 135-139 and 445 blocked but we still see the spam. We have identified 2
hosts on campus 1 is a Linux box running RedHat 7.3 the other seems to be a Win2k box. I've done a quick check of the
Linux box but it doesn't appear to be compromised, one thing I did notice from external scanning is that RPC on the
Linux box is not configured correctly and allows forwarding of RPC requests. I've not checked the windows box yet but
I was thinking maybe the requests where being forwarded from outside the campus network to hosts inside via these
misconfigured RPC installations. Any thoughts? Am I way off base here?

Any proxy/webserver around?

The most common way to send loads of spam is abusing proxies. I have seen
at least one attampt in our lab where a cacheflow box (hardware proxy)
that was supposed to be closed for this type of CONNECT request was
succesfully used to forward spam.

Hugo.

--
    hvdkooij () vanderkooij org         http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/