Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re:

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () jmu edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 09:30:15 -0400

H C wrote:

I did some testing...and after reading this thread and
seeing the DirectAdvertisers.com site, I decided to
right up some code and see what happened (the code is
below).  I tested this on a network...and it worked
just fine.

I think some of the stuff is coming in on the MS-RPC
port - 135. We have all netbios over tcp ports blocked
and we still see the spam.

Here is a good write-up that also contains a link to
good info about RPC and windows services:

http://www.mynetwatchman.com/kb/security/articles/popupspam/
http://www.hsc.fr/ressources/breves/min_srv_res_win.en.html

--
Gary Flynn