Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Strange TCP headers

From: "Benjamin Tomhave" <falcon () cybersecret com>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 11:30:13 -0600

I remember seeing an announcement on the nmap list a couple weeks ago for a
different OS fingerprinting technique (there was some discussion as to
whether or not this was actually a new approach).  They say that they use
SYN packets in their testing.  Has anybody tested this tool against their
firewall or IDS to see how the scans show up?

Here's the original announcement (with corrected links) on this "new" OS
fingerprinting technique...