Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Publishing Nimda Logs

From: Hugo van der Kooij <hvdkooij () vanderkooij org>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 08:01:41 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 7 May 2002, Deus, Attonbitus wrote:

  It is truly sad that so many people are still infected with Nimda. There
  is a company with my corporate ISP that I have notified 3 times now that
  they are attacking other systems. It seems they can't figure out how not
  to install Win2k/IIS5.0 while connected to the net. The sad thing is that
  this is a computer company.

Send a formal complaint to the ISP. It's their responsability as well as
soon as you send a formal complaint. Send a formal complaint by
snailmail to that company. Let them sign for receipt.

Include logging and such and charge them with:
 - harrasment.
 - improper usage of you computer facilities.

  I have seen a site where people have published the IP of the offending
  boxes for stuff like Nimda and CR. I am thinking about doing the same
  thing so that people can either use that information to block the IP's or
  to do whatever they want for that matter.

I display all seen nimda cases for several months now.
(http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/logging.cms)

I als run earlybird so the owner of the IP block that has an offending
machine gets one warning per day informing them of their problem.

I am under the impression that it has some impact. (Now ISP's and so will
learn about infections within a minute after a machine in their netblock
starts harrassing me.)

Hugo.

--
All email send to me is bound to the rules described on my homepage.
    hvdkooij () vanderkooij org         http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/