Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Strange scan on 1433

From: "Jason Robertson" <jason () ifuture com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 12:25:04 -0400

Here's an interesting article about it..

Jason

http://www.incidents.org/diary/diary.php?id=156

From:                   dr john halewood <john () frumious unidec co uk>
To:                     incidents () securityfocus com
Subject:                Re: Strange scan on 1433
Date sent:              Tue, 21 May 2002 16:30:01 +0100
Mailer:                 KMail [version 1.3.2]

On Tuesday 21 May 2002 2:38 pm, Pavel Lozhkin wrote:
I got a lot of scans today on port 1433 from numerous nets (part of them
are .jp and .kr, but not all)
Does anyone know what they're looking for on the port ?
I've never been scanned on the port before.

 I'm getting a lot of these as well. 1433 is the Microsoft SQL server port.
There's a number of tools doing the rounds at the moment looking for the all
too common ms-sql servers with blank sa (database admin) passwords, as well
as a few that exploit vulnerabilities in unpatched servers.

cheers
john