Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: nouser - rootkit ?

From: "Bruce Ediger" <eballen1 () qwest net>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 20:26:00 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Konrad Rieck wrote:

I wonder if there are really attackers out there installing bogus-rootkits
in order to protect the real ones. Has anybody on this list detected such
kind of "feints"?

I posted to usenet last year with the same question, because one
of the machines I tend got rooted.

In response, some guy claimed he found a rootkit that had at least
two layers:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&selm=9h6gsa%2414r%241%40bob.news.rcn.net

I'm not at all sure I believe this story: IRIX is pretty obscure,
and not very widely used.  Why would anyone go to the effort of
doing a "feint" rootkit to mask a "real" rootkit for so few targets?