Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: ORBZ shut down

From: <jlewis () lewis org>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 12:19:04 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, David Ulevitch wrote:

  I'm sending this forward to incidents for two reasons.

  1) The reason ORBZ appears to have been shut down is because of the
  problem with Lotus Domino servers crashing/hanging when receiving
  bounces with null envelope senders.(check archives for exact issue)

Does anyone have a complete list of any other from addresses/formats that
will cause load issues on Domino.  I know from Ian's bugtraq post that
anything@[127.0.0.1] will do it.  What about anything@localhost,
anything@[servers-IP], etc.?  Has Lotus fixed this in any Domino release,
or are they all brain damaged.

  2) A lot of mail servers will HANG or be EXTREMELY slow if they are
  setup to check against ORBZ name service for spamboxes.

Just like when MAPS surprised everyone with no more free service.

  A good solution is to switch to using something like ORDB
  (www.ordb.org)

Or any number of other dnsbl's.

--
 Jon Lewis *jlewis () lewis org*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |