Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Port UDP 3049

From: Thomas Akin <takin () kennesaw edu>
Date: 14 Mar 2002 05:58:54 -0000

I recently had an unpatched redhat 7.2 machine
hacked. I discovered a UDP port 3049 listening
process... The process binary was  ./v

After the compromise I recorded most of the volatile
info and finding a binary 'v' in "/dev/..   " (three
spaces) and assumed it was the ./v listening to 3049.

Mistake. The ./v in the "/dev/..   " directory was the
Vanish II program. Now I have to analyze the
unallocated inodes to find the ./v program listening to
port 3049. Biggest problem now is time. They  keep
me busy around here....

Will post the findings as time permits....

Thomas Akin

--
Thomas Akin, CISSP
Director, Southeast Cybercrime Institute