Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: scanning from WANADOO-CABLE-BD

From: "Jonkman, Matthew A." <Matthew.Jonkman () umb com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 23:49:48 -0500

These aren't new by any means. I've been getting ftp probes from that ISP
for over 2 years, that I can recall at least. And those on boxes all around
the globe.

I remember another thread on the subject on some other list. A lot of ISP
sysadmins were considering blackhole routing their nets. Nothing seems to
have come of it though.

It could be useful if there was a concerted effort underway to blackhole
them, or if a few major providers could be convinced to blackhole them on a
backbone somewhere. That's the kind of pressure it'll probably take to make
something happen.

Till then, I keep up on my patches and firewall rules. And will
thereafter....  :)

Matthew Jonkman, CISSP
Senior Data Security Engineer