Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: FW: 33 character encrypted passwords in /etc/shadow

From: Paul Gear <paulgear () bigfoot com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 10:13:11 +1000

Mike Denka wrote:

Thanks for all the responses to my original query.  It's pretty clear
that I missed the md5 encryption on newer versions of Red Hat which is
what got me sweating in the first place.

Thanks also for all the suggestions for checking file integrity on Red
Hat machines.  Looks like rpm verification and tripwire are the only
options next to having a non-connected machine with a fresh install
somewhere to compare against.  Too bad.  Not that those are terrible
options, but the Solaris Fingerprint database
(http://sunsolve.sun.com/pub-cgi/fileFingerprints.pl) is a great tool.
Maybe someday we'll have similar tools for our favorite open source
O/S's.

Mike

Mike,

An MD5 checksum of the files is exactly what rpm -V does.  All you have to do
to get the same effect is keep a copy of your package files on read-only media
(i.e. burn a CD and keep it in the machine), and run the rpm -Vp against it
from cron each night.  Obviously you'll have to update the CD each time a
package is updated in the errata.  A CD-RW disk would probably be good for this
purpose (making sure it's mounted in a CD-ROM drive, not a burner) - matter of
fact, i might try that next time i get a chance.  :-)

A simple workaround to Stephen's suggestion that the rpm command could have
been modified is to keep a (preferably statically-linked) copy of the rpm
executable on the CD and run that instead of the copy in /bin.  Obviously,
someone could remove your script from the cron configuration if the system was
compromised, but there's no way of avoiding that.

Regards,
Paul