Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Anyone seen this before?

From: H C <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 16:28:37 -0700 (PDT)

In task mgr, The application 'address' (w/o quotes)
is running and is linked
to the explorer.exe proc.

What do you mean by "linked"?  What does this mean,
and what did you do (or what tool did you use) to
verify or discover this?

<!--begin the obvious-->
I verified that the explorer.exe was the correct
size.  There was only 1
running with a normal thread count.

Okay...but what do you consider 'normal'?

I checked hklm...\currentversion\run(run
once,services) and nothing was in
it.  Stat up, same, nothing.

What?  What does "stat up, same, nothing" refer to?

I ran fport and fscan and nothing out of the
ordinary popped up; netstat -a
also
did not show anything out of the ordinary.  I also
ran several other
scanners against the
machine and no known vulns that were unexpected
popped up.

Okay...but if the process is on the machine, why are
you running scanners against it?

IIS, Index service, etc are not running. All
mappings removed, services
disabled. Sp2, all app
hotfixes installed.  Pretty secure machine when run
against normal audits.
It is facing the public
so the standard extra precautions have been taken.
<!--end the obvious-->

All of that may have been obvious to you, but please
understand...most of us have no idea what you consider
to be "standard extra precautions".  Hotfixes are all
good and fine...but did you unbind NetBIOS from the
Interface, leaving only TCP/IP?

If anyone has seen this before please let me know.
A search on google did not provide
any solid leads.  I did follow thru on checking for
known code
red/nimda/things that were
close but not really leads.

I appreciate any insight from the list.

Oh, and please don't bother to tell me to blow away
the OS and start from
scratch.
While I appreciate the suggestion, i'm looking for
leads, not the obvious.

Well, first off, "blowing away the os" is hardly what
I would call an "obvious" answer.  More like that
answer slung about by those who aren't knowledgeable.

Here's what I would suggest...go to SysInternals.com
and get a copy of handle.exe, listdlls.exe, and
pslist.exe (from the PSToolkit).  These are all CLI
tools, so you may want to redirect their output to a
file...

Run the tools.  Pslist will give you some specifics
about this "address" process...PID, times, etc.  From
handle.exe, you should be able to get the user context
that the process is running under, plus the handles
(files, semaphors, etc) the process has open.
ListDlls will show you not only the DLLs the process
depends on, but also the command line used to launch
the process.

Also, the CreateProcess() API call requires the full
path to the executable as it's first argument, so you
should be able to find a copy of "address.exe"
someplace on your system.

Happy hunting.  Let me know if you need any help.