Security Incidents mailing list archives

Incident Analysis of Compromised OpenBSD3.0 Honeypot

From: "Michael Anuzis" <michael_anuzis () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 12:43:29 -0400

Many scripts have been released lately targeting OpenBSD (the Apache/OpenSSH ones to be more specific). I was curious to find who would actually attack an OpenBSD system and what types of rootkits would be used if any since OpenBSD has gone so long without being an easy target to hack, not many RKs are available with OpenBSD as the target. I set up a simple honeynet to try to find some of these results which was hacked by two people in under a day.

The whitepaper is available here: http://www.lucidic.net/whitepapers/manuzis-7-5-2002-1.html

Comments/feedback are much appreciated!

Michael Anuzis, CCNA
Network Security Consultant