Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Invalid TCP header flags

From: "Crist J. Clark" <crist.clark () attbi com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 16:46:17 -0700

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 03:22:21PM -0500, kyle.r.maxwell () verizon com wrote:
We're seeing occasional TCP traffic with FIN-RST-ACK or FIN-PSH-RST-ACK set
in the header. The strange part is that it's always set for port 110 (this
is in fact a legitimate POP server). The traffic is observed inside the
firewall; I don't have an IDS sensor outside.

Could this just be port scanning,

Yes, but probably no.

OS fingerprinting,

Yes, but probably no.

a broken stack,

Yes.

or something else?

Yes.

I've googled around but haven't found too much useful info,
other than to see that other folks have seen similar stuff.

I think the interesting thing to note is that the RST-flag is set. It
is extremely rare to see a RST in a hostile packet since it takes a
_really_ broken stack to ever respond to a TCP packet with the RST
set.

If these come with any frequency, it would be interesting to do a
packet capture and see exactly what goes on before and after these fly
by.
--
Crist J. Clark                     |     cjclark () alum mit edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~cjc/    |     cjc () freebsd org