Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Odd scan

From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () auckland ac nz>
Date: 22 Jul 2002 08:15:52 +1200

On Sun, 2002-07-21 at 05:04, Tadas Miniotas wrote:

What seems odd to me is quite unusual set of ports for a scan. Quite a
few vulnerabilities have been discovered in SNMP (port 161), an
ingreslock service (port 1524) is reported to be used as an backdoor
for several exploits against RPC services, finger is a rarely used
service these days. So far, so good, but I fail to see what these three
ports have in common.

I'd say nothing, except that all mark a system as potentially
vulnerable.

Russell.

Russell Fulton, Computer and Network Security Officer,
The University of Auckland, New Zealand