Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: UDP port 500 traffic from two clients

From: Hugo van der Kooij <hvdkooij () vanderkooij org>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 22:25:42 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Gary Flynn wrote:

Chris Wilkes wrote:

I recently moved and changed IP addresses within my ISP's block and two
IP addresses from mediaone.net and home.com hit me a couple of times a
minute with a UDP request to port 500.

Code Red and Nimda infected machines will reportedly generate port
500 traffic.

Port 500 is NOT part of CodeRed. I doubt that nimda uses them.

I get hit enough by them but just on port 80. To get a feel of what a
normal XS4ALL ADSL server get hit by have a look at:
http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/fwlog/

Only SMTP and HTTP is normal traffic and not logged there.

Hugo.

--
All email send to me is bound to the rules described on my homepage.
    hvdkooij () vanderkooij org         http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/