Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Odd connection attempts from many addresses

From: James Hoagland <hoagland () SiliconDefense com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 09:27:20 -0800

Hello John,

Have you looked into whether your host X is advertising a service on the ports in question? A game server or some such.

Also what is the timing between packets from a given host? How about between different host's attempts? Does that vary or is it fairly consistent?

Does a source address repeat itself? If so, is there a pattern in the source ports used? Is there any patterns in the source ports used by the different sources?

Regards,

  Jim