Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Steady increase in ssh scans

From: Skip Carter <skip () taygeta com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 14:38:35 -0800

Is anyone co-ordinating artifact analysis on hosts compromised over sshd vulnerabilities?  Has anyone seen
identical (or very similar) artifacts left behind on multiple compromised hosts?

        So far this year, I have done two investigations of intrusions that utilized
sshd vulnerabilities
in odrer to beak in.  The post compromise activity (rootkits used, backdoors
installed, attacks to other
systems) were significantly completely different.  The one common thing I
found was that both intruders left
behind trojaned or disguised ssh backdoors, but I suspect that that is just
part of a new trend of using
encrypted channels.

--
 Dr. Everett (Skip) Carter      Phone: 831-641-0645 FAX:  831-641-0647
 Taygeta Scientific Inc.        INTERNET: skip () taygeta com