Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Scan that doesn't make sense

From: Johan Augustsson <johan.augustsson () adm gu se>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 19:04:17 +0100

On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 11:39:56AM -0500, McCammon, Keith wrote:
This certainly doesn't look like any of the well-known scripts that I've
seen in recent months.  In fact, if you look at the timestamps, it seems
likely that this was done manually.  Look at the different tools/methods
used to probe the system, and then look at the gaps between them.
Either a very odd script, or someone with too much time on their hands.

Do you happen to have any event correlation software in place that might
tell you if this fellow has been caught poking around prior to this
incident?

Cheers

Keith

According to my Snort logs this was the first time this fellow got into
that particular subnet. We do not have any centralised snort box for our
/16 net yet so this is just for a /24.

As I mentioned in my first mail there must be a truckload of traffic
that Snort didn't pick up since we're only using the default ruleset
plus a few custom rules to pick up the ftp and printer scans.

But why did he first run some cmd.exe stuff and a few minutes later do
an portscan? I just don't get it, or are those skriptkiddies realy that
eherm... stupid?

Are you guys getting any ICMP superscan Echo in your Snort logs? Since I
wrote the rule (brag, brag, brag) it would be fun to know if folks are
using it or if it triggers to much false alarms. The ICMP superscan
Echoes I get doeas nearly all originate from dialups or *dsl accounts.
That make me believe that SuperScan is the only tool (or one of very
few) that uses a payload of eight zeroes in it's ICMP Echo Requests.

/Johan