Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Scan combining internal/external

From: Rich Puhek <rpuhek () etnsystems com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 14:14:18 -0600

"Stephen W. Thompson" wrote:

Yesterday afternoon I saw apparently-coordinated scans which
absolutely confuse me.  I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has
seen anything similar or who has a likely explanation.

First, I have my main machine which has Linux with an ipchains
firewall.  On the same subnet I have a linux box with a non-recent
Snort IDS configuration monitoring the subnet.

The logs below show:
 1) My ipchains logs showing several of *our* machines from diverse
    subnets making from 1 to 6 connection attempts to *my* personal
    machine, the first at 15:18, then a bunch from 16:29 to 16:31:50.
    All but the first have source port tcp/6667 to various destination
    ports.
 2) Snort logs revealing a scan by an external IP of many machines on
    my subnet, source and destination ports tcp/6667, lasting from
    16:31:46 to 16:31:47.

Are you ingress filtering? (Does your router block incoming packets with
source IP address = your subnets?). If not, I'd suggest doing so.
ipchains is fine and good, but ingress filtering will prevent bad guys
from pretending to be from your network.

Could be the attacker is not real sophisticated, and is doing something
like:

nmap -sS -g 6667 -Dyour_ip_1,your_ip_2,your_ip_3  your_target_machine

which is really pretty pointless, since you've easily identified the
source of the scan...

Rich Puhek
ETN Systems Inc.