Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: SNMP Scans 02/17/02

From: Eric Brandwine <ericb () UU NET>
Date: 21 Feb 2002 01:15:28 +0000

"sc" == Security Coordinator <security () aptusventures com> writes:

Do you think we should be reporting snmp scans to ISPs
or just a waste of time?

sc> Well, one way or another ISPs need to be fingered. I don't see
sc> other people in the security community saying much, so maybe its
sc> time someone started.  ISPs ARE RESPONSIBLE for a lot of the
sc> security problems on the net today. How could someone do SNMP
sc> scans of a network unless ISPs let them get away with it? Actually
sc> this is a bad example, there is legitimate SNMP traffic and it
sc> would be hard for them to know, but then why is it we see so many
sc> spoofed packets around? There should be ZERO of them on the
sc> net. Every router knows what addresses to expect to be inside vs
sc> outside.

sc> I won't belabour the point, but YES, you should not just report it
sc> to the ISP, you should let everyone know where attacks come
sc> from. What we REALLY need is a database and system good enough to
sc> understand the topology of the net and processes attack reports in
sc> a sophisticated enough way that we can say things like "if this
sc> router was filtering like thus, this would be impossible" and if
sc> an ISP won't configure their equipment properly, then they can be
sc> held liable.

Please get a clue.  They're free.

We sell bandwidth.  We sell unfiltered bandwidth.  There are good
reasons for doing so, and I'm willing to discuss them with you in
another forum, perhaps off list.

I am not responsible for the security of your systems.  I am not
responsible for the breakins that result from your poor security.  I
am not responsible for the spoofed packets that the script kiddies
source from your systems.

Have you ever tried filtering on a Cisco at OC-48 rates?  It ain't
pretty.  How about maintaing access lists on a per-customer basis for
on a router that terminates 3000 customers, when you cannot apply
filters on a sub-interfaces?  What about assymmetric routing,
multi-homed customers, dynamic routing changes?

Antispoof filtering is a good thing.  I do it at home.  But it is a
technology that is not applicable to Internet backbones.  It does not
scale.  It is something that should be done on the edges, as close to
the stub networks as possible.  The backbone is not a stub network.

sc> Every router knows what addresses to expect to be inside vs
sc> outside.

Maybe on your routers.  This is not true in general.  For the vast
majority of routers, there is no "inside" or "outside", just a bunch
of interfaces, running really hot.  I'm in Virginia.  Does that make
California "outside"?

We try to help our customers out when they're in trouble.  We try
hard.  But your statements above are flat out wrong.  They were
expressed in ignorance, and you should rectify that ignorance before
making such sweeping statements again.

As someone who actually works for a middling large ISP, in security,
yes, you should report these scans.  But only to the ISP that sells
service to them.  Don't report them to your ISP, unless it's a service
impacting attack.  Traceroute to them, identify the router above their
network.  Contact the people at the source network, they may well be
unaware of the scan/attack.  Most of these things originate from
compromised systems, and the admins in charge are glad to be notified.
If that yields no results, contact their ISP.  Such scans are
generally a violation of the AUP (acceptable use policy), and can be
dealt with in that context.

Mr. Security Coordinator, I suggest you change your gecos field to
something more personal.  If you would like to obtain service with the
terms you specified above, I'm sure, if you shopped around long
enough, you'd find an ISP willing to oblige you.  Expect to pay a
hefty premium for it though.

ericb
--
Eric Brandwine     |  It is hard to believe that a man is telling the truth
UUNetwork Security |  when you know that you would lie if you were in his