Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Unicode worm?

From: "Kurt Seifried" <bugtraq () seifried org>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 23:45:02 -0600

  I've noticed some activity on a couple of web servers which I'm trying
find an explanation for.  It's been happening for about 2 months.  Here's
log snippet :

[08-21-2002 - 00:56:11] Client at x.x.x.x: URL normalization was not
complete after one pass. Request will be rejected.  Site Instance='1', Raw
URL='/scripts/..%255c%255c../winnt/system32/cmd.exe'

I've got these requests going back to May, beyond that I'd have to
uncompress logs but who cares. If I grep for "255" and/or ".." and
"cmd.exe"... well.. yeah. lots and lots of entries. It's code
red/blue/green/god knows what and Nimda and lord knows what else.

Make sure your servers are patched before they go online and if you're like
me find someone nice to have dinner with and forget about it. There are much
better things to do in life then worrying about the latest (or not so
latest) windows worm.

Kurt Seifried, kurt () seifried org
A15B BEE5 B391 B9AD B0EF
AEB0 AD63 0B4E AD56 E574