Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Subseven Scans

From: H C <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 11:04:54 -0700 (PDT)

"it was determined by examining the contents of the
drive in question, and seeing a directory
structure that appeared to be one that had been
infected.

What about the directory structure led you to believe
it was infected?  Was it the presence of certain
files?  If so, which ones?  The existance of "control
characters" is inconclusive...as you said, many of
these hosts seemed to be home systems.  Also, the OP
stated that many of the hosts he saw were in
Korea...so perhaps the "control characters" were
simply foreign language characters.

You wont find
normal people creating directories with
control codes in them, and since more than 1 out of
the 20 + hosts had that
type of sign, its assumed they are in
fact infected with something.

Ah...again..."assumed".

It also showed sings that these were not
business systems, and of a home type of system,
which can lead to a conclusion that they were less
secure than business
systems, and more prone to have stuff uploaded on
them.  Most the hosts had
MS file sharing enabled, with write access from the
root of the drive. Just
another sign
to lead to a formidable conclusion"

As we've discussed, the issue of your actually
accessing the machines abounds.  From another list,
here is an excerpt from CA state law:

1:  knowingly and without permission access or caused
to be accessed any computer, computer system, or
computer network.  (PC 502(c)(7)

So, as you can see, this issue I've presented of your
accessing the hosts isn't a fantasy I've made
up...it's a fact.

leads one
to believe that this is the work of one person
hopping from system to
system, quite possibly to try to break ACL's on the
borders.

I'm not really clear on how SYN packets can be used to
"break ACL's [sic] on the borders".

There was no effort on my part to determine
if an infection on an
attacking host was causing the scan or not. The
application source of the
scan made no difference in my analyses"

Okay.  I guess maybe I find it a little hard to
believe that you'd go through all the trouble of
scanning these remote hosts, accessing the drives,
determining that write access is available to the root
of the drive, and yet not give any specific data
beyond that.  After all, there are a number of tools
you could have run...many of which I've specifically
detailed the usage of in this and other lists...in
order to determine the root cause of the scan.
Information regarding the root cause would be
extremely useful in answering the question posed by
the OP..."what is this?"

From the data you have gathered, it's clear that this
may be a zombie or remotely controlled app of some
kind, perhaps even an IRC bot.  However, again I find
it difficult to understand why you would go through
the trouble of accessing these systems, viewing the
file structure, identifying control codes in the
directory structure, but never say what the directory
structure or control codes are, or even what led you
to believe that the systems were infected.  After all,
since you'd gone that far already, you wouldn't even
need write access to the drive to determine what was
actually on the system...a simple "dir" or "tree"
command would suffice.

At this point, let me simply state that my intention
here isn't to create "drama" or to complain about
anyone.  I am simply pointing out that on the lists,
when an incident like this occurs, very often we take
some steps, but don't go far enough.  In the long
wrong, going half way and speculating about the rest
of the issue is actually more harmful to the community
as a whole than simply ignoring the SYN packets in the
first place.

All I'm suggesting is that if you're going to
investigate a situation, do so, but do so fully and
completely.  The reason I suggest this is b/c for the
most part, we (as a community) aren't all that good at
detecting and investigating incidents...let alone
reporting them.  What I've been trying to do by
posting to the list and asking questions of other
posters has been to increase the level of awareness of
what can be done and what should be done to
investigate an incident.

"The community can benefit from whatever they can.

The community benefits from whatever is provided by
its constituent members.

1: Windows hosts, all of them - fact.
2: MS Shares at the root level, some of them. -
fact.
3: Sequentially scanned, not simutaneous - fact.
4: Hosts were not spoofed. - fact.
5: Some hosts showed signs of virus via the CTRL
chars that were used to
create directories on their shares. - fact.

Something else to consider is that "tagged" FTP
directories have also shown signs of control
characters in the directory structure...but those
systems were largely used as responsitories for
copyrighted data, and did not generally lead to active
malware, particularly the type of activity described
in this thread.

6: How long the attack lasted. - fact.
7: Was the attack successful. - fact.

It would seem that the "attack", if that's what you
can call it, was hardly successful at all.  After all,
all you received were SYN packets, correct?