Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: HTTP CONNECT attempts

From: nexus-mail () mail ru
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 09:27:12 +0300

DS> Morning,

DS> need an advice. I've got more them 20 "HTTP CONNECT" IDS alerts (BugTraq id 4131)
DS> from 3 diff. sources for today and yesterday. Looks like some tool is out and people started to use it.
DS> The only problem is: I don't understand why people are trying to use port 80 to connect to port 443 (which is
usually open
DS> to a world in my case).

DS> Dmitri Smirnov, SSCP
DS> Security Team

DS> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
DS> This list is provided by the SecurityFocus ARIS analyzer service.
DS> For more information on this free incident handling, management
DS> and tracking system please see: http://aris.securityfocus.com

Ports like 80 and 443 are usually open, and caching server's ports are
closed from outside. So, if you have mod_proxy enabled in your Apache
(or something like that) webserver and do not have appropriate rules
to prevent using of this feature, the intruder could pass throuh it.
Squid, for example, have the rule that allows to connect only on SSL
ports, that is 443 and (AFAIR) 563. But it is commented by default. So
you could connect to your local mailer and send a spam from affected
localhost (your acl usually includes your local addresses) and often
_FROM_ localhost. That means bypassind any firewalling rule to an
uncrypted or less guarded ports.

--
Best regards,
 nexus-mail                            mailto:nexus-mail () mail ru