Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: iPlanet Server vulnerable to HTTP TCP HEAD Attack

From: Paul Cardon <paul () moquijo com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 19:18:42 -0400

Mendoza Bazan, Luis - (Per) wrote:
Hi,

I have an iPlanet server that work as email server. This server has the
following services enabled: SMTP, POP3 and HTTP. We detect the evidence that
is in the files attached. If you know some advice or workaround about this,
it will be welcome.
We are searching in Sun some info but cannot find it.

Well Luis, it looks like you have a publicly accessible proxy server and somebody is attempting to use it to get their porn. I would recommend that you either disable the proxy or configure access controls on it that restricts its use. You should also be aware that when you post sniffer traces the IP address a.b.c.55 that you were trying to obfuscate shows up in there in hexadecimal (c80e f137) unless you also obfuscate it. I can't imagine that your customer or employer would be happy that you have advertised that information on a public mailing list.

-paul

For more information on this free incident handling, management and tracking system please see: http://aris.securityfocus.com