Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: I think I've been hacked...please help!

From: H C <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 11:04:59 -0700 (PDT)

I would suggest this is a custom made trojan that is
connecting to an irc
server when a RAS connection is detected.

What are you basing this on?  The information provided
so far by the OP has been vague and sketchy at
best...hardly what one would call even moderately
effective incident response.

Try using MSConfig to see if anything unusual is
working, also try
installing zone alarm for a check at what is
accessing the network from that
machine - available from www.zonelabs.com
If someone is using a trojan it will be picked up
using zone alarm even if
it is custome made.
Hope my info helps...

There are other, perhaps even more effective methods
for gathering the same information.  For example,
running fport (and piping the output through netcat)
doesn't require a full software installation
(ZoneAlarm does)...which will contaminate any
potential evidence.  There are other tools...which
I've listed and sent to the OP...that can be run
similarly.

BTW, I checked out your site...cool graphics.  Aside
from rampant misspellings, it's not half bad.