Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Remote Shell Trojan: Threat, Origin and the Solution

From: Patrick Andry <pandry () wolverinefreight ca>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 13:38:40 -0400

Kevin Gagel wrote:

Has any expert c programers examined the c code to see if it actually
does what the remarks say?
I am suspicious of anything that is posted anonymously no matter how
well it's documented. I don't know C well enough to tell if the documentation is accurately
portraying what the code is
really doing.

If it's not then this a one very well crafted "socially engineered"
virus...

The best I can tell, it isn't reading in any weird strings. The most it looks like it's doing is removing parts of the file in 4k chunks.
Can anyone else verify this?

For more information on this free incident handling, management and tracking system please see: http://aris.securityfocus.com