Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Explorer Dr. Watsons

From: "FYOM" <fyom () symmsys com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 16:00:28 -0400

Chris,

I had the same issue, and I'm disinfecting a server that had the worm.

The worm loads a trojan mmc.exe in C:\winnt.  This trojan mmc.exe loads any
time your system runs explorer.exe  Also, you will note a ton of mep*.exe
files in c:\winnt.  These files are the worm's threads of execution and they
modify all your html and asp files on your system to include this line: