Security Incidents mailing list archives

AnalogX Proxy SMTP server relay

From: "Claymore" <claymore () adelphia net>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 17:01:07 -0400

Increasing numbers of users who are using AnalogX Proxy SMTP servers are
being reported for mail open relays, though when a standard relay check is
used it comes back as not relaying.

Due to the volume of reports, multiple identical messages sent from a
variety of hosts using this product, and after speaking with the users, I am
fairly certain that these are in fact relayed and not sent from the site. I
am assuming that someone has found a way to force the default install of the
AnalogX SMTP server to relay mail. I was hoping that someone had some ideas
how this might be possable so that I can aid our users in understanding why
this is happening and help them correct the issue.

Thanks

Claymore
the unprofound