Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: many port 4599 probes

From: Alan Wright <AlanJWright () manx net>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 23:29:19 +0100

4599 is an unassigned port according to the IANA ports list.

At 19:59 17/10/2001 +0545, you wrote:
My ipchains log shows that I received 85 attempted udp connections to port
4599 in just over 3 minutes, apparently from a host calling itself
shtam017085.netvigator.com (208.139.101.85).

The attempted connections came regularly every two seconds from
208.139.101.85:4599 -> my_address:4599

ipchains is set to DENY rather than REJECT, perhaps accounting for the delay
between attempts.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be/mean?

Thanks for any help

CP

All the best

Alan

Alan J Wright B.Sc(Hons)(Open)
SMS +47624462772.
Email AlanJWright () manx net
        foll478trap () yahoo com

'You're a feisty little one but you'll soon learn respect'

Return of the Jedi

For more information on this free incident handling, management and tracking system please see: http://aris.securityfocus.com