Security Incidents mailing list archives

IIS (Possible DoS floating around)

From: "Keith.Morgan" <Keith.Morgan () Terradon com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 12:27:13 -0500

The focus-ms list is hopping a little regarding some strange behaviour from
IIS.

The symptoms:
IIS continues to run (or sometimes crashes), but the common thread is that
the port is closed.

After recieving a report on focus-ms, and having this same behaviour occur
on one of our webservers, I contacted a friend who runs a (logically) nearby
network.  He indicated that the same problem had occurred on some of thier
servers.

I'm currently pouring over logs attempting to locate anything out of the
ordinary.

Just a note for all those that will say "make sure you've applied patches or
run the hfnetchk:" Our servers are at completely current patch levels.

Keith T. Morgan
Chief of Information Security
Terradon Communications
keith.morgan () terradon com