Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Possible Trojan/Virus: while.com.

From: John Sage <jsage () finchhaven com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 09:46:27 -0800

Jay:

Just to take one word ("Attune") out of the excerpt, and do a google search on it, I found:

http://www.aveo.com/support/index.htm#about1

To quote:

"What is Attune?

Attune is a revolutionary service that provides you with targeted Intelligram messages, These can give you messages about products, services, or help you avoid common computer problems. Attune runs quietly in the background and automatically updates it's Intelligrams when you are connected to the Internet. These messages are then displayed when needed, such as if you are about to encounter a situation that is known to cause problems."

"How did I get Attune on my computer?

You may have received the Attune software through one of many distribution partner companies. These companies include AskSam, Aveo Inc., Canon Software, Corel, Cosmi, Dell Computer, E-Color, evesham, Four Dits, GetRight, Guildhall, Hewlett-Packard, IBM, iCD Publishing, ID4 Limited, ItsAllFreeSoftware, Kensington, Logitech, McAfee, Paramagnus, Radiate, US Robotics, WeatherBug, WebHelp and Xoom."

So, at least "Attune" seems to be one of these wonderful new "helpers" that run in the background on Window$ boxes, and "help" users...

"Click the "Download Attune" button to download the AttuneĀ® software (750 KB) to your PC. Please follow the on-screen download and installation instructions. After Attune is installed, it will automatically update itself when you are connected to the Internet with the latest information and tips to help keep your computer system trouble-free"

Yeah.. I'll bet...

HTH..

- John

Jay D. Dyson wrote:

Hi folks,

I received an unusual spam complaint from one of my users here. What's unusual is that I'd not heard about this payload before. While I
haven't had time yet to give the payload more than a cursory look, my gut
tells me the following is a trojan or worm either deliberately or
unintentionally disseminated by an AOL user (using a forged bellsouth.net
address).  Also of import is that the user who sent this beastie was using
Microsoft Outlook (as if that isn't a big enough warning sign).

heh..

        The text accompanying this apparently malicious payload is thus:

- -----BEGIN EXCERPT-----

It can be disabled at your discretion, although the default configuration is to allow updates. If you want to disable this feature, follow the instructions in the online help documentation under the topic "Turning Attune off and on".\f0\par

\par

You may not modify, reverse-engineer, decompile, create other works from, or disassemble the software. Similarly, you may not copy, modify, adapt or create other works based upon the Documentation.

- ----- END EXCERPT -----

        The payload is named "while.com" (did some searching on this term
and came up with goose-eggs). Vital statistics on the file are:
        Filesize        : 73,728 bytes
        MD5 sum         : 0cd0a719f9f91630de366c54c427a834
        Interesting bits: mshtml.dll (previously ID'd as security risk)
                          TLOSS error
                          SING error
                          DOMAIN error

        (The above three items strike me as math-intensive, possibly
        indicating a cracking functionality of some type...or maybe I'm
        whistling in the dark.  Like I said, this is a suspected trojan,
        not confirmed.)

        Anyway, with the creepy-crawlies typically associated with
Microsoft-sired worms (use of MS Outlook, generic text, unsolicited
payload, et cetera), I'm regarding this as a high-probability trojan/worm.

        Anyone interested in vivisecting this beastie can find a copy of
it here:

        The file: http://www.treachery.net/~jdyson/trojans/while.com
        MD5 sum : http://www.treachery.net/~jdyson/trojans/while.com.md5

        Oh...and in case anyone's wondering, I've already sent off a
letter to AOL to let them know about this.

- -Jay

   ))   ))   .-"There's always time for a good cup of coffee"-.   >====<--.

For more information on this free incident handling, management and tracking system please see: http://aris.securityfocus.com