Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Posting to Incidents list, was: Re: Help with Nimda.E?

From: cambria () owt com
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 21:28:55 +0000

The way I interpreted HC's post, he was not referring to the perennial full-disclosure debate.  He was pointing out the
risks of disclosing one's *own* potential vulnerabilities in a public forum.

I think it's a valid point and one that inexperienced people may not fully consider before posting.

You certainly do not want to post a message to this forum from the affected system saying "I just discovered that my
port 5678 gives a root shell to anyone - what should I do".

For this reason many people post from email accounts that cannot easily be correlated to the system they are
discussing.  Also, logs showing actual IP addresses are often "sanitized".  That is, the actual IP address of the
potentially vulnerable system is replaced with something like "x.x.x.x".

I think HC's message was a call for good judgment on the part of those who post here - a sensible recommendation that
one not expose exploitable details of one's own system to a potentially malicious audience.

Best regards,

Greg McCann