Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: SSH CRC32? What am I seeing?

From: Jose Nazario <jose () biocserver BIOC cwru edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 12:19:59 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 21 Nov 2001, Shaun Dewberry wrote:

Received these strange probes this afternoon, can anyone tell me what
they are?

how many?

(I suspect it is SSH CRC32 exploit, but need confirmation).

as discussed by dittrich you'd see a string of ssh connections as the
known exploits attempt to work the addressing on your box via the crc32
ssh exploit:

http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/incidents/2001-11/0040.html

I found this in my logs right before a couple of cgi-bin exploit
attempts. (my host is caffeine.co.za)

that suggests an automated scanner like nessus or something along those
lines.

Nov 21 16:11:21 fw sshd[30930]: Bad protocol version identification
'^Ccaffeine.co.za^C^C^C^C^C^C^C^C^C^C^C^C^C^C^C^C^C^C^C^C^C^V^Cexit  ' from
196.11.239.43
Nov 21 16:11:45 fw sshd[30937]: fatal: Read from socket failed: Connection
reset by peer

control C (^C) makes me think its a manual probe on sshd to get the
version number (and look for a target maybe for the crc32 exploit).

doesn't look like the ssh crc32 attack on this data, to me at least.

jose nazario                                                 jose () cwru edu
                     PGP: 89 B0 81 DA 5B FD 7E 00  99 C3 B2 CD 48 A0 07 80
                                       PGP key ID 0xFD37F4E5 (pgp.mit.edu)