Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Another unicode hacked box

From: Johan Augustsson <johan.augustsson () ADM GU SE>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 10:49:30 +0200

Jon Zobrist wrote:

The attacker attempted to deface our web pages by uploading index.html and
index.asp both of which include the crude english "fuck USA Government" and
the message "fuck PoinsonB0x", it also includes a contact email address of
sysadmincn () yahoo com cn

I have cought an attempt to hack some of our webservers by the same
guy/gang.
They do not upload any files, they use a script that just simply uses
the Unicode-hack to copy \WINNT\system32\cmd.exe to \inetpub\root.exe
and then use root.exe to echo some text into the files default.htm and
default.asp. The attack that i cought was comming from a compromised box
in the USA.

I'm not sure if this warrants contacting the FBI or not, it appears clean up
will be reinstalling completely.

Why bother? I don't think that the Chinese will give away any of their
citizens to the USA.

- Johan