Security Incidents mailing list archives

Canned scan...part 2

From: gattaca () hushmail com
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 19:37:42 -0600 (CDT)

Well, I guess I was a bit unclear. Thanks to all for your collective input
on what the ports were (ie 31337, and 10008). I was however aware of them.
The point I was wondering about was if this particular scan was a canned
exploit, could it take another step if it were to successfull? If so then
maybe someone has identified some artifacts. I would doubt that this was
someone just messing around with nmap as it was the same scan pattern at
different times from different address spaces from multiple addresses around
the globe (NOT synchronized and vs. different machines on several different
networks). If this was a scripted exploit then that could potentially be
identified then a rule could be written for SHADOW, Snort, NetRanger et
cetera.

At any rate thanks for your input.
cheers,
gattaca