Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: ICQ Users a target Again!

From: Hugo van der Kooij <hvdkooij () VANDERKOOIJ ORG>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 00:16:21 +0200

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Lee Hetherington wrote:

I got an email today when I arrived at work which seemed to originate from
the MAILER-DAEMON account on one of our machines running Sendmail.  The
message had no body but had one attatchment. The file LEOKIALE.EXE is 23Kb
in Size and Hasnt been opened...

It was to a personal address of my own which is only used in ICQ...

Can't recall that ICQ is extremely safe.

Message Headers:-

Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 17:21:40 +0100
From: MAILER-DAEMON () ns1 asphost net

Seems this was an attempted relay. (Note that it seemed intended for
someone at kerfuffle.net but your mail server may not know how to handle
that address.)

Beyond that it might be a good thing to submit the file to a
virusscannner.

Hugo.

--
hvdkooij () vanderkooij org             http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/
Alle email is gebonden aan de regels beschreven op mijn homepage.